www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:46 pm 
Board Member

I went to my Grandmother's house this past Saturday. While in the garage looking for some chairs for the dinner table I found this beauty. I asked her if she wanted it and she said take it. I also found a few of those cool coolers David and Brooks have. Sorry for the crappy pic. Take from my stupid crackberry camera.

Not sure if I want to keep this lantern since I am not a fan of white gas but right now I have no lantern. So I might clean this up, use it this summer then maybe sell it. All depends if I like it.

So if I was to sell it, would this catch some decent money or am I looking at a $5 item?

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:57 pm 
Board Member

I'd check ebay for prices. I imagine that there are a large number of those still in circulation. Nevertheless, it is quite cool.
And yes I also really prefer propane.

SV2s Member #401

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:25 pm 
SV2s Creative Staff

NICE!! :grin: :thumbsup: This will clean up nicely. Might need a few replacement parts (usually the o-ring on the fill cap & the generator (both easily ordered online)) and will work like a charm! It's not as bright as a two-mantle lantern (wonder why? ;-)) They're real easy to take apart and clean and don't require any special tools other than a vice to get the fuel/air valve out of the fount (the tank).

The collar just below the globe should have a model number on it (looks like a 242C) and the bottom will have a date stamp on it. The number on the left will be the month and the 2-digit code on the right will be the year. So a code of "5 51" means May of 1951. If it's not in that format (maybe just one # on left and right), let me know and we can decipher it.

Ebay has a few 242C listed right now; anywhere from $9.99 to $120.00, but only two with bids and they're at $15.50 & $16.25. The real problem is the shipping. Break that globe during shipping & the buyer's gonna want their money back. :???:

Clean it up, use it, and you decide to sell it, if it's something other than a 242C, let me know! (Already have a 242C...)

SV2s Member #81
SBNB #2

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:40 am 
Board Member

thanks Brooks. Maybe later today or this week I will check it out in more detail. I still need to clean it up as you can tell but it was worse than it is now. I "cleaned" it just so I could put it in the car. My wife would be pissed if I tossed it in the car without cleaning it. :???:

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:33 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

I see those while antiqueing and they go for all over the board. If you wanna sell it to someone other than Brooks, take it to a show and see what the offers are!

'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:14 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Classic right there! I'd use the hell out of it! Nothing is made with the high quality things were made way back then. White gas is no mystery and propane can be just as dangerous if mishandled. It is much cheaper to use too. A single fill up on my lantern can last a whole year's worth of camping and then some. I carry mine always in the Dormy whether camping or not. :cool:

Way back when we were practicly newlyweds we camped a lot too. Our first camping set up was a 2 person tent bought at JC Penny's for $7 that I still have, the old school procelain coffee pot, pans and dinner set, propane stove, and a couple of the very old school "oil" lanterns! Though they didn't give as much light as the gas ones, the "look" simply could not be beat! :razz:

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:51 pm 
SV2s Creative Staff

der58SC wrote:
thanks Brooks. Maybe later today or this week I will check it out in more detail. I still need to clean it up as you can tell but it was worse than it is now. I "cleaned" it just so I could put it in the car. My wife would be pissed if I tossed it in the car without cleaning it. :???:

Well? I think I've given you more than enough time to find the numbers on the bottom...

SV2s Member #81
SBNB #2

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:53 am 
Board Member

True you have sir and I have failed to get the info. I will see about getting it soon.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:39 pm 
Board Member

OK it looks like I will need to shine it up since I cannot read anything on the collar. I can tell there is something written on there but I cannot make any sense of any of the writing.

Any ideas on how to do this with damaging the collar?

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:37 pm 
SV2s Creative Staff

der58SC wrote:
OK it looks like I will need to shine it up since I cannot read anything on the collar. I can tell there is something written on there but I cannot make any sense of any of the writing.

Any ideas on how to do this without damaging the collar?

From oldcolemanparts.com: "The frame rest can be cleaned and shined with 0000 steel wool or a metal polish."

SV2s Member #81
SBNB #2

Post subject: Re: Re:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:38 pm 
SV2s Creative Staff

Brooks wrote:
der58SC wrote:

Well? I think I've given you more than enough time to find the numbers on the bottom...

HELLO?!?! Scary to say that over a year has past since this was last discussed... But since we're talking about your lanterns and such over on another post, thought I'd rattle your cage again. :lol:

SV2s Member #81
SBNB #2

Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:42 pm 
Board Member

he he he buggin yah isn't it. :evil:

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:56 pm 
Board Member

How do you keep Brooks in suspense????

I'll tell you next year!

Shawn
Member #420
'65 SC (now Louis's)
'68 Westy!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:01 am 
SV2s Creative Staff

coolerthanelvis wrote:
How do you keep Brooks in suspense????