www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:12 pm 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:15 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: SoCal
I was lucky enough to witness Endeavour's last flight today. What an incredible sight. 4 1/2 hours at Disneyland and California Adventure with hundreds of my best friends, all sadly seeing firsthand the end of an era. My dad was an aerospace engineer for Rockwell so all us kids were roused out of bed in the wee hours for all the liftoffs and splashdowns. We knew the names of all the astronauts and what each mission was trying to accomplish. I was so sad to see how blase' the public became with the space shuttle program. Such sparse attention was given in the media to the missions unless they exploded. My son has shared my family's enthusiasm for space and today he was shooting pictures on the roof of the Natural History Museum in L.A. where he works, right next to the California Science Center where the Endeavour will make her final home. The flyovers yesterday and today were such a lovely sendoff to an amazing machine dreamed of and built by such a dedicated amassed conglomeration of Americans. I wish my dad could have been here to see it.

_________________
'67 Beetle
'67 Squareback
'66 Sundial
'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:46 am 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:06 am
Posts: 461
Location: Lake Forest, OC, S. Ca.
suebug wrote:
I was lucky enough to witness Endeavour's last flight today. What an incredible sight. 4 1/2 hours at Disneyland and California Adventure with hundreds of my best friends, all sadly seeing firsthand the end of an era. My dad was an aerospace engineer for Rockwell so all us kids were roused out of bed in the wee hours for all the liftoffs and splashdowns. We knew the names of all the astronauts and what each mission was trying to accomplish. I was so sad to see how blase' the public became with the space shuttle program. Such sparse attention was given in the media to the missions unless they exploded. My son has shared my family's enthusiasm for space and today he was shooting pictures on the roof of the Natural History Museum in L.A. where he works, right next to the California Science Center where the Endeavour will make her final home. The flyovers yesterday and today were such a lovely sendoff to an amazing machine dreamed of and built by such a dedicated amassed conglomeration of Americans. I wish my dad could have been here to see it.
Very cool Sue!... but I have to ask... where do you find the time for all those BF's? ;-)

_________________
SV2s member #621


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:25 pm 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:15 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: SoCal
Dave24 wrote:
suebug wrote:
I was lucky enough to witness Endeavour's last flight today. What an incredible sight. 4 1/2 hours at Disneyland and California Adventure with hundreds of my best friends, all sadly seeing firsthand the end of an era. My dad was an aerospace engineer for Rockwell so all us kids were roused out of bed in the wee hours for all the liftoffs and splashdowns. We knew the names of all the astronauts and what each mission was trying to accomplish. I was so sad to see how blase' the public became with the space shuttle program. Such sparse attention was given in the media to the missions unless they exploded. My son has shared my family's enthusiasm for space and today he was shooting pictures on the roof of the Natural History Museum in L.A. where he works, right next to the California Science Center where the Endeavour will make her final home. The flyovers yesterday and today were such a lovely sendoff to an amazing machine dreamed of and built by such a dedicated amassed conglomeration of Americans. I wish my dad could have been here to see it.
Very cool Sue!... but I have to ask... where do you find the time for all those BF's? ;-)


EVERYONE becomes a best friend at Disneyland!

_________________
'67 Beetle
'67 Squareback
'66 Sundial
'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:38 pm 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:49 pm
Posts: 482
Location: Tehachapi
I agree Sue. I also grew up around the Aerospace industry, and its a shame how this country has changed towards space programs.

Where I work, the flyover was a surprise, but they did a really nice low and slow one over the Mojave airport just after leaving Edwards and we got some great footage. Even though I have been around it for so long, I still got goose bumps and a sense of Pride. NASA spent a good 30 plus minutes flying over the AV, which was a great tribute to the community that built her.
I was also sent to Texas during the tragic Space Shuttle recovery for 2 months during that operation in 2003. That was a experience that I will never forget. I hope we can get a program back up.. but its looking like it will be a Co Op with NASA and Private industry.

_________________
57 DD Panel
62 Standard
62 Double Cab
67 Deluxe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:07 am 
Offline
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:54 am
Posts: 10412
Location: Sun Diego
We usta build the now infamous booster rockets here in Chula Vista. 8-[

_________________
The difference between a philanthropist and a liberal is that a philanthropist is generous with his own money.” Jack Kelly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:42 pm 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:15 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: SoCal
Saturday, October 13, my late aerospace engineer dad's birthday
Drove to L.A. mid-afternoon
Parked at USC. Strolled thru the Rose Garden
Waited in line to get into the viewing box/parking lot
Got interviewed on TV, same channel that interviewed my son and I when the California Science Center opened in the '90s.
Opened the gates of the viewing area around 5-ish, mad dashes by little old ladies and kids alike
Primo up close and personal spot, the best there was, at the corner of Bill Robertson Blvd. and the yellow brick road to the California Science Center temporary shuttle enclosure
Could see the whole block from MLK to the Science Center
Waiting, waiting, waiting.
Festive atmosphere with vendors of t-shirts, pins, those stinky bacon-wrapped hot dogs with grilled onions, light sabers, ice cream, water bottles, glow-in-the-dark necklaces
In constant txt message contact with my son, employee of the Natural History Museum, locked with fellow workers in the Spider Pavilion, just feet away from where the shuttle would come to a halt
Met some nice people while waiting, waiting, waiting. Four generations of one family sitting on the asphalt behind me.
But when the LAPD finally said it wouldn't be there until 3:00 the next morning we gave up
waaaaaaaaaaaaa
Turns out it was a good call as it arrived 17 hours late
I have some good pictures of where it was SUPPOSED to be
But those won't be too interesting
Sigh

_________________
'67 Beetle
'67 Squareback
'66 Sundial
'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:48 am 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:25 pm
Posts: 788
Location: San Diego
Any pics of those stinky bacon-wrapped hot dogs with grilled onions.....mmmmmm :grin:

_________________
#223
66 21 Deluxe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:02 pm 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:15 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: SoCal
Joe Flare wrote:
Any pics of those stinky bacon-wrapped hot dogs with grilled onions.....mmmmmm :grin:

Funny you should ask. Two weeks ago my son, his girl Samantha, and I went to The Offspring concert in LA. Samantha was talking the whole evening about getting one of those dogs. After the concert she bought one. As she turned away, a wigger dancing feverishly to the beat of a bucket whirled into her and mashed it against her pretty shirt. So, while waiting for the shuttle, I took a phone pic of the stinky bacon-wrapped hot dog with grilled onions a few steps from my vegetarian nose and told her I could bring her a cold but intact dog later!

_________________
'67 Beetle
'67 Squareback
'66 Sundial
'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:54 am 
Offline
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 7209
Location: Oceanside, CA
suebug wrote:
bacon-wrapped hot dog with grilled onion


Image

_________________
-- William --
Your new SV2 Club Treasurer

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:35 am 
Offline
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 7209
Location: Oceanside, CA
this is how you move the space shuttle from LAX to it's final resting place through the streets of L.A.

http://framework.latimes.com/2012/10/15 ... cross-l-a/

_________________
-- William --
Your new SV2 Club Treasurer

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:23 am 
Offline
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 3320
Location: San Diego
WOW that was awesome! Quite a feat!

_________________
Slayer Out!!!
(Chris C.)

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:35 am 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:15 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: SoCal
So cool to see that. Thanks for the link.

_________________
'67 Beetle
'67 Squareback
'66 Sundial
'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:02 am
Posts: 2924
Location: On the Point.
15 minutes of the SoCal fly over as filmed from one of the chase planes.
http://marcbrecy.perso.neuf.fr/shuttlel ... video.html

_________________
Prosit!

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 pm 
Offline
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 3320
Location: San Diego
Great vid!

_________________
Slayer Out!!!
(Chris C.)

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:52 pm 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:15 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: SoCal
Kewl!

_________________
'67 Beetle
'67 Squareback
'66 Sundial
'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:52 pm 
Offline
SV2s Forums Regular

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:06 am
Posts: 461
Location: Lake Forest, OC, S. Ca.
Image

_________________
SV2s member #621


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 pm 
Offline
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 3320
Location: San Diego
that is not to far from the truth!!

_________________
Slayer Out!!!
(Chris C.)

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Endeavour
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:54 am
Posts: 10412
Location: Sun Diego
If it was NYC, it would have been stripped! :roll:

_________________
The difference between a philanthropist and a liberal is that a philanthropist is generous with his own money.” Jack Kelly


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group