www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Art Brow dies
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:13 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

I'm sure the name Art Brow is unknown to most VW folks outside the Ohio-Michigan region, but I thought I'd share this sad news. Art passed away this morning at the age of 89. Art was a VW legend in Ohio as he started working at a local VW dealership in 1955 and raced formula V cars in the 1950's and 1960's. Art worked at Lossman Motors, a VW dealership in Lakewood Ohio (Cleveland suburb) from 1955 to 1973.

On October 20th, 2012, several LEAKOILERS got together to do some work on a friend's bus at Bill Webner's Der Wagonwerks shop in Elyria, Ohio just west of Cleveland. Art and I got to talking and I grabed my I-phone and recorded a few minutes with him talking about working at a VW dealership in the 50's, 60's and early 70's and Formula V racing. There's even a little talk about MG's and Lucas Electric.

The film was unplanned, unprepared, unproffessional and the interviewer (me) leaves a lot to be desired, but I think its a great little historical piece that captures an era that is long lost to history. Hope you enjoy it. I got a kick out of how VW mechanics didn't call the "bastard" motor a bastard. They apparently preferred "interim".

Anyway. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgqR9fsT ... tion=share

Post subject: Re: Art Brow dies
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:37 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

My condolences go out to his family and you guys, his friends. I didn't know the man, but I'm glad you made the video. I just watched part of the video and will finish it up tonight.

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:04 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

I didn't want the interview to end! What a great guy! Thanks for sharing this!

'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:18 am 
Board Member

Sorry to hear the loss of a good friend. The best to the family in this difficult time.

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:05 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Getting a 36hp little old vw engine to spin 7500rpm!!! :shock:

That type of "old school" is fast disappearing! Before you know it, such will not be even attempted, and may be illegal to do too! :sad:

Kool video! :cool:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:44 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

I know the SV2 membership didn't know Art but I thought all of you would appreciate this...

I just wanted to recognize and acknowledge LEAKOIL'S Mike Noble who did an outstanding job in organizing Art's memorial service. Mike did a fantastic job. He really deserves special recogintion. Thank you Mike!

Many LEAKOILERS, like me, only knew Art on a superficial level dealing with VW's. Little did I know what a rich history this man enjoyed. Can you imagine survivng the tragedy of the USS Franklin in March 1945?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxu_1ODhjN0

Yes, Art did that and more. I could not believe how many people came out to say goodbye to humble Art Brow. Like Mike said, he was from the "greatest generation". We all pale in comparrison to guys like Art.

I loved this photo from the early days of Lossman Motors in the 1950's. That's Art in the middle and owner Bob Lossman next to Art in the plaid jacket. That's back in the days of family owned and operated dealerships with an emphasis on family. The guys who came to the funeral from Lossman's said everyone back then treated each other like family.

Art was awarded a lot of medals back in the day, but like many heros, he never bragged or talked about those events, (at least not to me).

These two guys, Jim (left) and Dial (right), were mechanics at Lossman's in the late 50's and early 60's and worked under Art Brow. They had great stories about Art.

One story I heard deserves special mention. After Art left Lossman (in his later years) he went to work at a dealership (unnamed) where they handed him a big box of parts and told him to "put them on the car". Art worked on the car and returned the box with most of the parts still in it. The service manager asked Art why he didn't put all the parts on the car. Art replied: "Because the car doesn't need them". At was honest to the core.

Art won a lot of races back in the day and all his championship awards were on display. Here's one of many.

Lots of photos of his racing years.

Art and his wife "Dutch" (who was also a racer) were featured in this book.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:41 pm 
Board Member

thanks for sharing!

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:31 pm 
Board Member

pretty cool! What history. Love the "for your personal safety..." and there is a dude smoking. Ah the good old days.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:27 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Thanks for the time travel. He sure sounded like a great guy.

'60 Single cab
2000 New Beetle

SV2s #202