It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:43 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

so the samba advertises ...

Eastwood
Masterseries
Rust Bullet

Here is a pic of the situation. No major cancer. Surface rust mostly. So I'm thinking it would be good to get some restoration going and then look at prevention of the structural pieces and the pan.Looking for some ideas. I have to think someone has either used one of the above products or some type of black undercoating to restore and preserve the underbelly.

So, best way to "clean" up and get rid of the dirt, grime, and surface cancer?

I'm thinking...

1. pressure spray/wash
2. wire wheel
3.spray/brush on product?

I'm also thinking that is a shizz load of work...on my back to boot!

So anyone done it? Been down this road? Thoughts...since this is a running/driving bus...

alot of money and work to strip it down and have it media blasted...and then painted? anyone have an idea of how much this would cost?

thoughts? i just want to cure her of her cancer and prevent future rust from growing...she deserves it!

Attachments:
underside.jpg
underside.jpg [ 60.72 KiB | Viewed 5553 times ]

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:34 pm 
Board Member

My floor pans had a lot of surface rust 6 years ago. I did the wire wheel on the drill and covered them with Hammerite liquid rust converter/sealer. No return of rust on the pans. I recently used POR15 and I think it is a superior product than the Hammerite, which is NLA in liquid.

IMO you will never cure the rust. You can only hold it at "bay" (even on a split). --A little 68-79 humor --

On the Samba is a long thread about POR15 vs Rust Mort vs Rust Bullet, etc.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:16 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I have a question, tn. Did you finally get a bus or is this yet another retorical-possibly-maybe-might-acquire-bus-soon question? :???:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:30 am 
SV2s Graucho

a double door has belly pans from the factory- no belly pans in this picture.must be a picture of a double cab as they don't have belly pans. :???:

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:17 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
I have a question, tn. Did you finally get a bus or is this yet another retorical-possibly-maybe-might-acquire-bus-soon question? :???:

Oh, good catch. I made the assumption we were talking about an already-in-the driveway bus.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:41 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:

um....this is not a rhetorical question...

you know the old saying, don't count your chickens before they hatch?

well, i haven't said anything because they haven't hatched...bought the eggs, and waiting for them to hatch anxiously arrive., just wish they were in my garage in an incubiator. i hope if all goes as planned the eggs will hatch next week....

sorry to be aloof, i hope that answers the question.but don't want to jinx anything...i'm superstitious,

but to answer your question this is not a question to waste time, or "in theory"....the first thing i will need to do is a thorough "tune up"...but the first major battle will be to stop the surface rust and prevent it .....since i don't and won't have any money to take the body off and expose the underside,and do a resto, i'm wondering the best way to attack this endeavor? i've already come to the conclusion that it will have to be done on my back since i don't have a shop with a lift...

i hope my lame BOOTIE questions don't engender fury and frustration in you....all

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:44 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
a double door has belly pans from the factory- no belly pans in this picture.must be a picture of a double cab as they don't have belly pans. :???:

true....the DD has belly pans....i've always wonder how clean she is under them...?my belly is nice too on my DD....but yes, these are pics of a DC...

she is exposed!....

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:48 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

OB Bus wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Oh, good catch. I made the assumption we were talking about an already-in-the driveway bus.

not in the driveway yet....so i've yet to blow my wad and annouce anything...as i stated in a response to pyro...would hate to have a "premature moment"!!!!

but I've been working it, and she is about 85% of the way to my driveway...just need her in the driveway before i release anything....sorry for all the sexual connotations....i apologize... ](*,)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:56 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

tnc19 wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

um....this is not a rhetorical question...

you know the old saying, don't count your chickens before they hatch?

well, i haven't said anything because they haven't hatched...bought the eggs, and waiting for them to hatch anxiously arrive., just wish they were in my garage in an incubiator. i hope if all goes as planned the eggs will hatch next week....

sorry to be aloof, i hope that answers the question.but don't want to jinx anything...i'm superstitious,

but to answer your question this is not a question to waste time, or "in theory"....the first thing i will need to do is a thorough "tune up"...but the first major battle will be to stop the surface rust and prevent it .....since i don't and won't have any money to take the body off and expose the underside,and do a resto, i'm wondering the best way to attack this endeavor? i've already come to the conclusion that it will have to be done on my back since i don't have a shop with a lift...

i hope my lame BOOTIE questions don't engender fury and frustration in you....all

Very well then. To give you a tip on this particular inquiry, invest in a decent "creepy-crawler". I got one for my birthday about 20 years ago, at PepBoys. It was $50 then and I STILL have it though I recently replaced the casters on it as they were wornout to about half their original size. This thing is so comfortable I could take naps on it and it's very shallow in design so I can crawl under a stock height bus without having to jack it up. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:04 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

tnc19 wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

not in the driveway yet....so i've yet to blow my wad and annouce anything...as i stated in a response to pyro...would hate to have a "premature moment"!!!!

but I've been working it, and she is about 85% of the way to my driveway...just need her in the driveway before i release anything....sorry for all the sexual connotations....i apologize... ](*,)

I realize your excitement, but we can talk a storm about a million issues and their possible solutions 'til the cows come home, then none of it will matter or apply to the actual project at hand. That's why at least personally I rather see pictures of what you actually do have in your possesion to better diagnose and offer more accurate ideas as to what could be done. Otherwise is almost as if we're using sign language over the phone. :???:

"Patience, Grassyass Hopper!" Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:55 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:
tnc19 wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

I realize your excitement, but we can talk a storm about a million issues and their possible solutions 'til the cows come home, then none of it will matter or apply to the actual project at hand. That's why at least personally I rather see pictures of what you actually do have in your possesion to better diagnose and offer more accurate ideas as to what could be done. Otherwise is almost as if we're using sign language over the phone. :???:

"Patience, Grassyass Hopper!" Image

the pic is actual condition...like i said, possession can sometimes be elusive....barring a disaster, that would lead me to a court of law...it should be in my backyard within 10 days...

i understand where you are coming from...i just wanted you to know, no longer am i chasing hypotheticals...as you know i've been on a mad hunt...just trying to finsher off, carry her back, get her loaded and off to be mounted!

the creeper i have! it just seems to be a daunting task. i guess I'm looking for an ez way to do a solid job on what appears to be a very difficult task. hoping to see if anyone has undertaken it personally and has tips to make it easier so i don't waste my time, once i do get started.

i've been reading up on por 15, rust bullet, and others over on samba, but it seems most of those guys are working with the body off the frame....

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:04 am 
Board Member

tnc19 wrote:
it seems most of those guys are working with the body off the frame....

how do they get a bus body off the frame? Not possible.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:10 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

der58SC wrote:
tnc19 wrote:
it seems most of those guys are working with the body off the frame....

how do they get a bus body off the frame? Not possible.

I think this topic/thread is over on the samba is in the paint forum. Not sure. There were several guys heading it up. It was the thread where "lee"...was testing por 15 against rust bullet and others...

i think he was working on a ghia, not sure. others on bugs. one guy said he had the body off the frame....i don't think that they all were working with busses.

aside from cutting them apart, isn't there a way to separate the body, the pan, and frame/outriggers?
I've seen it in pics...

i was just making the point that the only way this is getting done in my back yard is on jack stands....no lift (one guy on the thread had a lift)....or on a rotisserie...i'd have to pay with an arm and a leg....

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:11 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Anything is possible and yes even removing the bus body off the chassis, although you will need to cut. It's no bolt off type deal if that's what tnc19 was referring to. I think there was someone over on TS that was doing just this.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:14 am 
Board Member

too bad no one in Sandy Eggo has a rotisserie you could use.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:15 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

here is one of the many samba threads...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

The Clueless wrote:

You really don't have a clue! :neutral:

Though it is a "personal" item, we have one at our disposal though as with anything else, no one wants to store it. :roll:

It really belongs to Stan N. but last I heard it's in Ramona. If any active club member is in real need of it, I can do my best to get all parties invloved notified. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:07 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
The Clueless wrote:

You really don't have a clue! :neutral:

Though it is a "personal" item, we have one at our disposal though as with anything else, no one wants to store it. :roll:

It really belongs to Stan N. but last I heard it's in Ramona. If any active club member is in real need of it, I can do my best to get all parties invloved notified. :cool:

yah cuz this type of information is just thrown around all the time that I should know? :roll:

At least I know now. :cool:

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:27 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

No. I just saw your chain so... :razz:

IIRC Stan had built one ages ago in order to totally redo an early scab. It was so clean inside, outside AND underneath that you could eat off it! :shock:

Ended up selling it at the Classic for $10k to $15k, I don't recall the correct figure but this was back when Japan was sucking up all the perfect vws, 15 years ago or so. Anyway, on a recent talk with him he mentioned the actual location of the rotisserie was unknown to him. He had loaned it out but could remember to whom. Later, at a Ramona campout, in a casual conversation with a visitor he mentioned that he had it in his possesion but knew it belonged to someone in the club! :-o

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:49 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
No. I just saw your chain so... :razz:

It's all good. My "clueless" chain is like a neon sign.

SV2s #436