www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:00 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

ok....talk about cluelessness...

a rotisserie question....how much of a bus needs to be stripped in order to put it into a spinner? i assume weight is an issue...so besides, engine, tranny....wheels...would anything else needs to be removed for a rotisserie mounting? i assume moving it around with too much weight would not only be unadvised but moronic....

just wondering, because every pic i've seen a bus is stripped bare bones, usually for a total resto...

just a talking point...i hope a "theoretical" question like this doesnt piss anyone off... :-k

i guess i'm asking more to try to find out the labor involved if i was to have the underside media blasted.... and undercoated at a shop. ....anyone know the cost for a job like that? cost benefits? doing it myself vs. having someone do it...

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:29 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I prefer to do most everything myself. Mainly for a dual reason. I know I cannot afford the amount of quality and detail I'd like to get when done. Also, if anything goes wrong, I'd rather jump right on it and take care of it instead of having to "bring it back" to whatever shop and having to deal with the down time. That is something to really consider when having any shop do any kind of work. May be guarranteed but if anything goes wrong you can't touch it and must bring it back (ship it back, whatever!) then wait until it's diagnosed/fixed or worse. :???:

You can get "lucky" as I did when the Mondoflow muffler from A1 was hitting the bumper bracket. I took it there myself and they fixed it within an hour. Still, their initial suggestion was for me to ship it there, they fix it, then ship it back. None of that was going to happen in an hour and had me driving the Dormy the same day. I build my own motor so when something happens to it, and it has, I can tear into it right away and put it back together without worries of "voiding" any warranty. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:43 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyro?? media blasting? do u do it yourself? if so i assume you have a sand blasting box? or do you know of a place to rent the space and equipment? to do larger pieces?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:56 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Again, I like to do "most everything" myself, but can't do it all!!! So no, I don't have media blast anything. Do have a small dustblast booth but it's not operational yet. :sad:

I mean the down time and warranty provisions should be considered in general (how you like it coming your way? :lol: ) when having someone else do the work for you. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:59 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:
I prefer to do most everything myself. Mainly for a dual reason. I know I cannot afford the amount of quality and detail I'd like to get when done. Also, if anything goes wrong, I'd rather jump right on it and take care of it instead of having to "bring it back" to whatever shop and having to deal with the down time. That is something to really consider when having any shop do any kind of work. May be guarranteed but if anything goes wrong you can't touch it and must bring it back (ship it back, whatever!) then wait until it's diagnosed/fixed or worse. :???:

You can get "lucky" as I did when the Mondoflow muffler from A1 was hitting the bumper bracket. I took it there myself and they fixed it within an hour. Still, their initial suggestion was for me to ship it there, they fix it, then ship it back. None of that was going to happen in an hour and had me driving the Dormy the same day. I build my own motor so when something happens to it, and it has, I can tear into it right away and put it back together without worries of "voiding" any warranty. :cool:

i totally hear you on doing things yourself....
1. to ensure that work is being "cared" for...many times people doing "work" see it as "work" and not as "caring" for someone's needs
2. the pride of doing it yourself...

but sometimes, access to tools and facilities, not to mention necessary skills, necessitate that you have it done...

i would love to have the underside media blasted...however, i do not have the necessay tools nor do i personally know anyone with a sand blaster, then be able to lift up the bus to get to the underside...

so paying someone to do the first step would be nice, if it's affordable...otherwise i'm wire wheeling the hell out of the underside day after day....until she is clean.

who has had a local shop media blast large items, and has a shop to blast the underside of a vehicle?

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:19 am 
SV2s Graucho

der58SC wrote:
tnc19 wrote:
it seems most of those guys are working with the body off the frame....

how do they get a bus body off the frame? Not possible.

they cut it out. go to any thread about barndoor resto on samba especially sweden ,denmark and other rust places. my 10 window resto and others.
by the way how do you like my avatar? i tried to find one with dormy top for Pyro,but no luck yet. :lol:

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
der58SC wrote:
tnc19 wrote:
it seems most of those guys are working with the body off the frame....

how do they get a bus body off the frame? Not possible.

they cut it out. go to any thread about barndoor resto on samba especially sweden ,denmark and other rust places. my 10 window resto and others.
by the way how do you like my avatar? i tried to find one with dormy top for Pyro,but no luck yet. :lol:

ok, since you brought it up, i tried to post a pic of my dd as an avatar, but i have to make it sooooooo small its unintelligible.....wuzzup? how can i post a pic, that can actually be seen?
thanks
...luv the wide body!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 am 
SV2s Graucho

http://youtube.com/user/streetwagens#p/ ... eUvM7-J-K8
inspiration

SV2s member #341

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:49 am 
Board Member

bill may wrote:
http://youtube.com/user/streetwagens#p/a/u/1/geUvM7-J-K8
inspiration

That amount of space! The tools! The VWs!
Heaven!

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:52 am 
SV2s Graucho

also proof you can do a frame off restoration. :lol:

SV2s member #341