www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:37 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

Can someone tell me the real difference between these two different models. I will be getting one sometime this summer. I've been watching Craigslist for the right one. I know that the Millermatic is the "no brainer" way to welding, basically plug and play...set the settings based on your situation and what you are using, and point and go....right?

Well what is the difference between that and the Lincoln? I've seen it at the Homedepot.... and there are only 2 knobs so it seems real simple too...

Just wondering if someone....um, "THE ANSWER MAN"...or the VP could brake this down for me...

I'm looking at either one of these...or possibility a 180 from either Miller or Lincoln...so whats "real" difference between the two models...?

Last edited by tnc19 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:42 am 
SV2s Graucho

jeremy is making floor pieces right now for your bus and David's. if you can borrow a 110 welder,i can come over and help install. i would use my floor piece as i can wait for next batch. battery tray? get the gerson i guess.

SV2s member #341
1 of Joe Slack's "Real Deal Help Each Other out Members"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:43 am 
SV2s Graucho

how are you going to cut out old? i have air tools,but my compressor is not portable. :grin:

SV2s member #341

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:32 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
how are you going to cut out old? i have air tools,but my compressor is not portable. :grin:

um....the batter tray is already cut out.......clean cut, i need to look to see if additional metal will be need or simply a new one welded in?but its already been cleaned out by PO....either Blackdog or Silkyimpala From the Samba...

the driver floor, I was going to use either a cutting wheel on the grinder or a sawzall (reciprocating).....hack job? well maybe, but its all i got....

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:34 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
jeremy is making floor pieces right now for your bus and David's. if you can borrow a 110 welder,i can come over and help install. i would use my floor piece as i can wait for next batch. battery tray? get the gerson i guess.

I will either get the tray from Gerson or Ronnie whichever is faster...

the 110 welder?....well i have no offers, so i will look into renting one?.....hmmm is that possible????

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:36 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:

i checked home depot....they rent a Lincoln 100 hd welder....MIG 100-125 amps....5/16 arc shielding gas......will that work?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:05 pm 
SV2s Graucho

should do the job. do they include an electronic helmet? does it come with argon 75% co2 25% cylinder? i have a helmet ,but you may wish to watch or even try welding. anyone for tech session?

SV2s member #341

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:30 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

Have a tech session on Kermet finish the lower nose, as that is a key repair on many a Bus, which really could help as a learning tool. and give others the pride in acomplishment on their own Bus. pride in ownership. :grin: as in I did it I would attend and assist. it is time to do Kermet the time is now" the next Bus us club members work on anyone second that" #-o

sv2s member #445 one of the hard core 5, and now there's a 6th.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:11 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
should do the job. do they include an electronic helmet? does it come with argon 75% co2 25% cylinder? i have a helmet ,but you may wish to watch or even try welding. anyone for tech session?

The dude at Home Depot said that they have everything to do the job. Helmet? not sure, but I would definitely like to try my hand after watching...

I will verify that the whole rig comes with...cylinder? helmet?...

I'm on it tomorrow...along with getting the battery tray ordered...I could video it too...and give it to David...?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:12 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

vwjoey wrote:
Have a tech session on Kermet finish the lower nose, as that is a key repair on many a Bus, which really could help as a learning tool. and give others the pride in acomplishment on their own Bus. pride in ownership. :grin: as in I did it I would attend and assist. it is time to do Kermet the time is now" the next Bus us club members work on anyone second that" #-o

I most definitely X2 that!!! :razz:

Show me how to do it on your own bus and I will try it on mine! =D>

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:27 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

tnc19 wrote:
****I would be willing to do whatever I could do to help you for helping me out? $$$,labor, ...

If I do the job for you I'd definitely charge you for it. However, my warranty is for 10,000 miles or 'til you reach the end of my driveway, whichever comes first! :evil:

Though I do and have been doing most all of my stuff for many years, I'm no expert and as such my welding work may not end up being of your liking which is why I would much rather prefer you to do it on your own stuff. I've made and welded my own rocker panel under the side doors. Though I was satified with the end result overall, I know there were things I should have done somewhat differently. But I did it and have only myself to blame for anything that wasn't quite right. :-s

Finally, I used to be in the same predicamnent you are in now. Had a friend with the welding equipment as well as the know how. But it was a pain to schedule a time whenever I needed something done. Once I got my own equipment it all changed. Now whenever I need anything welded I just fire it up and get'R'done right on my driveway! :razz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:23 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:
tnc19 wrote:
****I would be willing to do whatever I could do to help you for helping me out? $$$,labor, ...

If I do the job for you I'd definitely charge you for it. However, my warranty is for 10,000 miles or 'til you reach the end of my driveway, whichever comes first! :evil:

Though I do and have been doing most all of my stuff for many years, I'm no expert and as such my welding work may not end up being of your liking which is why I would much rather prefer you to do it on your own stuff. I've made and welded my own rocker panel under the side doors. Though I was satified with the end result overall, I know there were things I should have done somewhat differently. But I did it and have only myself to blame for anything that wasn't quite right. :-s

Finally, I used to be in the same predicamnent you are in now. Had a friend with the welding equipment as well as the know how. But it was a pain to schedule a time whenever I needed something done. Once I got my own equipment it all changed. Now whenever I need anything welded I just fire it up and get'R'done right on my driveway! :razz:

That's the predicament...I've seen it on tv, read about it....never watched/studied up close or had my hand at welding. I don't want to take it to a shop and get bent over. At this point even if I rented the welder, I wouldn't know how to dial it in or even where to begin...so learning "how to" and the basics is essential just for me to get started and practicing and playing.

I will have to get my own cheapy welder, and I will, need to stop spending money on "things" and buy the tools i really need....first off.

But like I said, even if I did buy it, I would need a crash course...which either means City College, Palomar...or some other smaller private places, BUT most of those classes are certificate courses that are embedded in a LONGER course of study for a certificate in welding. I would rather take a course that is an introductory and wide ranging course intended to get you grounded in welding basics and then enuff skill to get started practicing.

Anyway, I just want to learn so i can do my own shizzzzzzzzzz! and not bother people...

BTW...the welding "spots" I'm asking for help with are very very common rust spots;Front driver side floor corner...and the battery...

I don't mind watching/helping with the welding of Kermit and trying to transfer that learning...I just want to learn. I just thought I would throw it out there and see if I got an offer, because Bill said he would help me/teach me if I got ahold of welder when I talked to him last Saturday.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:11 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

tnc19 wrote:
I will have to get my own cheapy welder, and I will, need to stop spending money on "things" and buy the tools i really need....first off.

That's your smartest post yet! :smile:

You can spend all your money on the best foods there are, and if you don't have pots, pans and a stove, you will starve anyway! Way back when I owned a house, I wanted to put up an above ground swiming pool and build a deck around it. When I finally got the money together, the first thing I did was getting an air compressor and all the power tools needed to do the job with ease. Then I went about getting all the materials and such. Likewise, using one of my yearly bonuses I went and got a welder, gas bottle, self darkening helmet and even a leather vest since I knew I'd be doing some "over head" welding. As far as "learning" is concerned, the best way is to just do it! Using some scrap metal, practice different types of welds until you are satisfied with the settings and end result. Then tackle to job on the vehicle. That's how I "learned". Also, consider a formal class in city college. They want money whether you are going for a masters degree or just to get the basics off the class. You pay for the course, you learn, you do on your own. No need to be there for 4 years. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:11 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:
tnc19 wrote:

That's your smartest post yet! :smile:

You can spend all your money on the best foods there are, and if you don't have pots, pans and a stove, you will starve anyway! Way back when I owned a house, I wanted to put up an above ground swiming pool and build a deck around it. When I finally got the money together, the first thing I did was getting an air compressor and all the power tools needed to do the job with ease. Then I went about getting all the materials and such. Likewise, using one of my yearly bonuses I went and got a welder, gas bottle, self darkening helmet and even a leather vest since I knew I'd be doing some "over head" welding. As far as "learning" is concerned, the best way is to just do it! Using some scrap metal, practice different types of welds until you are satisfied with the settings and end result. Then tackle to job on the vehicle. That's how I "learned". Also, consider a formal class in city college. They want money whether you are going for a masters degree or just to get the basics off the class. You pay for the course, you learn, you do on your own. No need to be there for 4 years. :cool:

I've been looking...really just on craigs, because I really don't want to spend ALOT money on a tool that I am not proficient at using. I'd rather spend a lil money on a welder that will allow me to practice/play and gain some basic skills...

What "class" or type of welder should I be looking to purchase as a beginner, trying to make basic and rudimentary repairs??? What would you suggest?

Bill told me, but I can't remember what he said. I didn't write it down. suggestions?

I have planned on enrolling in the summer session probably at City College...closer than Palomar.

I'm not looking for a free hand out...I'm not a taker, never have and never will be, I just can't weld (right now), so I need help. My options:
1.Ask for and find someone to help me
2. "rig up some half-azzed" repair like the POs
3.Pay out the BOOTIE at some shop.....

Doing nothing is not an option.There is absolutely no place for my battery to sit on the passenger side and my foot just might go through the floor and 60 mph and have no skin left.

I am willing to compensate as I have said in my first post, with either money, goods, or with my labor (value?..not sure how much my labor is worth but i will do whatever i can). I'm willing to pay for your time and gas and energy to tack the sheets in place for a temporary hold, Pyro, as I said. I have no problem with that. Time is money no matter how you slice it! I know that...so if you can, and you would be willing to let me watch, and show/teach me as you do it...I will pay. Not a problem....I'd rather pay someone who will show me what they are doing and how they are doing and why they are doing it, so i can learn than just taking it to a shop...

call it what u will...at the end of the day, i need to get it done, using one of the above options...

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:29 am 
SV2s Graucho

hobart handler 135 mig with gas bottle.they are used at all SD auto body classes i went to. continuing ed. and rop programs. they are 110 volt.

SV2s member #341

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:49 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

bill may wrote:
hobart handler 135 mig with gas bottle.they are used at all SD auto body classes i went to. continuing ed. and rop programs. they are 110 volt.

Thanks Bill, you are da man!!!! I will start craigs hunting!

Where are some good welding supply shops around town?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:54 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

SD Gas & Welding Supply in El Cajon. I believe they are on Marshall ave. That's where I got my set up a few years back. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:10 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

so for a "beginner" welding rig....i should be looking for a welder that...?

solid wire/flux cored?both?

welding amperage range? 180?140?

weld thickness? 24ga-1/4?

is there any brand that just out and out sucks???and to stay away from?

Looking at Hobart's website, the 135 seems to be an older model because they don't list it. BUt i'm sure the "numbering/model" coincides...no? so a Hobart 140 would be comparable?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 am 
Sunshine

tnc19 wrote:
so for a "beginner" welding rig....i should be looking for a welder that...?

solid wire/flux cored?both?

welding amperage range? 180?140?

weld thickness? 24ga-1/4?

is there any brand that just out and out sucks???and to stay away from?

Looking at Hobart's website, the 135 seems to be an older model because they don't list it. BUt i'm sure the "numbering/model" coincides...no? so a Hobart 140 would be comparable?

You know you can go to Harbor Freight and get a $100 110v flux welder that will do the job. I am using one know on my '58 and it works fine. Not as nice as the fancy ones like Mr William May Esq., but it gets the job done, and unless you plan on doing a lot of welding in the future makes better economic sense.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:32 am 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
You know you can go to Harbor Freight and get a $100 110v flux welder that will do the job. I am using one know on my '58 and it works fine. Not as nice as the fancy ones like Mr William May Esq., but it gets the job done, and unless you plan on doing a lot of welding in the future makes better economic sense.

They are on sale for $89 right now. Look in your Entertainment Book (if you have one) they have a 20% off coupon for HF that covers your entire purchase - not just one item.

SV2s Member #401