www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:27 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Took the Plump truck to its first "official" show outing going to the Hot VW's WET Day, I mean Drag Day! :lol:

Doing caboose behind Kermit meant that it was running way slow. Not too bad a thing since that got me the best mileage yet, over 22mpg :!: :shock:

Here it is doing trackside VIP* grandstand duties:

*Very Insignificant People :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:06 pm 
Webmaster

Here we go
say cheese!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:16 am 
SV2s Forums Regular

The bed can't be that rusty to hold all that! Which engine is pushing that, now? The one with the new P & Cs?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:30 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Barry wrote:
The bed can't be that rusty to hold all that! Which engine is pushing that, now? The one with the new P & Cs?

I have to get some airplane signs, the ones on the wings that say "NO STEP" to place on the critical areas! :lol:

It is still the Gutless Wonder. The Million Mile Motor is now on the Dormy. Sporting the new jugs but it is still a 1600 with a cam and well, it has run about a million miles! :roll:

Didn't do well in its first run to work a week ago but then I found a few things I didn't quite "finished" doing. I'll try it again this week with the 1.25 rockers. 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:31 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I reset the valves on the Million Mile Motor with the ratio rocker on and it did better. However, it is still a major step down from the 1835. :(

But that's the on Dormy and this thread is all about the Plump truck so let's get on with it. :wink:

I just replaced the tired old lousy yellow headlights with those new halogen bulb types. The difference is truly night and DAY!!! :shock:

Before:
After:

I used to only see 4 feet, now I can see 4 miles! :o

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:50 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

The better I feel about the Plump truck...

Quote:
1968 SINGLE CAB Totally Restorable - $3500 OBO
SINGLE CAB, NO ENGINE OR TRANSMISSION, COMPLETE BUS EXCEPT FRONT WINDSHIELD. THIS SINGLE CAB IS IN VERY RESTORABLE CONDITION.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=288257

:P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:50 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

So much to do, so little time. Not to mention missing so many parts to put 2 engines together, I didn't want to do work that would not be finished. So I got this "wild one" and decided to "clean" the Plump Truck! :shock:

The only "clean"this thing has gotten since becoming mine some 6 months ago, is just the windsheild and maybe the front nose. Needless to say, after 3 days of elbow grease (white rubbing compound) my arms are about ready to fall off! :o

Here's a set of before & after shots of various parts...

Front end:

Treasure chest hatch:

Driver's side gate:

8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:20 pm 
Sunshine

pyrOman wrote:
Needless to say, after 3 days of elbow grease (white rubbing compound) my arms are about ready to fall off! :o

You know, Ivan, you can buy a two speed buffer at Harbor Freight for less that $50 :lol:
--Dan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:22 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Dan wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
Needless to say, after 3 days of elbow grease (white rubbing compound) my arms are about ready to fall off! :o

You know, Ivan, you can buy a two speed buffer at Harbor Freight for less that $50 :lol:
--Dan

I do have one, but a buffer will not get to the spots that need it the most. Specially since this was actually a "clean up" job. If I want to buff it, I'll use the buffer. 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:33 am 
Sunshine

pyrOman wrote:
Dan wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

--Dan

I do have one, but a buffer will not get to the spots that need it the most. Specially since this was actually a "clean up" job. If I want to buff it, I'll use the buffer. 8)

I've had good results using a wool wheel and 3M's cutting polish. It takes off everything, inlcuding the paint if you stay on it too long :lol: Even takes off light surface rust.
--Dan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:39 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

UPDATE:

The Plump Truck's sidekick Gutless Wonder, done just retired yesterday. :(

As I was heading home from work last week, it suffered a "coniption" chugging and bucking about, loosing power in the process. At first I though it was running out of gas but that turned out not to be the case. At least it took me home (barely) and once there I checked its vital signs, timming, points, valves, etc. Now in the back and at so close proximity to the engine, not only could I see it missing erratically something serious but I could also see & HEAR a very obvious CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK!!! :shock: Not to mention the tiny metal bits found on the valve covers when re-adjusting the valves. :roll:

So, already dropped it, using the new ATV jack BTW :P , and the "new" sidekick is gonna be called "Sir Leaks-A-lot"! :? Which is the leaky-assed 1835 I had taken off the Dormy. :wink:

Pix to follow! 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:16 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

The ATV jack worked great at dropping the motor with the tranny jack doing "stand up" duty.

Here I'm using a come-along as engine hoist to transfer the engine from the ATV jack to the stand. I have a massive beam in the garage to handle the weight. :)

Some numbskull po idea of "sealing" the rear pulley on the Gutless Wonder, WTH!?!?! :?

Here's my crude attempt :oops: for a T4 cooler:

I'm not posting a pix of the 1835, Sir Leaks-A-Lot, with the Kadrons. We all already know what that looks like. However, some stuff I learned this weekend. The ATV jack could use a little better manueverability for the install procedure. The removable apron of the Plump Truck proved to be a non-issue when installing an engine with dual carburators already on it! :? I STILL had to lift the back end way up since the "legs" that the apron bolts into stick to much in the way. This never happens with the Dormy! :-s The tranny jack made it quite a bit less stressful to re-install the engine than without it! :)

The "good stuff", Sir Leaks-A-Lot has mucho power compared to the Gutless Wonder! Even got to burn some rubber on the trip around the block! :shock: The bad, this motor has high compression and thus requires high octane ga$. :roll: Also, my Kaduds seem to be in a bad need of rebuild. I have another set of totally dirt covered Kads. If I can't make a semi-good set out of 2, I may have to go with a dreaded 34pict3. :(

Either that or just break out the plastic and just go buy the parts I need to finish putting together the Dormy's stroker and the "replacement" for the MMM (Million Mile Motor) :|

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:58 pm 
Sunshine

Why is the doghouse cooler welded? that's a new one.
--Dan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:47 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Dan wrote:
--Dan

Again, here's my crude attempt :oops: for a T4 cooler:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:07 pm 
Sunshine

pyrOman wrote:
Dan wrote:
--Dan

Again, here's my crude attempt :oops: for a T4 cooler:

Oops, missed the caption :oops:
--Dan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:50 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Well, drove it to work this morning. :(

Realized why I had retired this motor. Not only is it really Sir Leaks-A-Lot but can call it Old Smokey also. :roll:

At least the "cloud cover" I left behind should help create some global cooling. :?

Made a huge mess all over the back of it as it dropped 3 quarts of oil in 20 miles! :shock: It's a good thing this motor has the extra 1&1/2 sump. Will have to pour some oil in it before heading home. Park it, drop it, and get off my ass-teroid and build at least 1 motor for the Dormy or for Plump. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:59 am 
Webmaster

pyrOman wrote:
Well, drove it to work this morning. :(

Realized why I had retired this motor. Not only is it really Sir Leaks-A-Lot but can call it Old Smokey also. :roll:

At least the "cloud cover" I left behind should help create some global cooling. :?

Made a huge mess all over the back of it as it dropped 3 quarts of oil in 20 miles! :shock: It's a good thing this motor has the extra 1&1/2 sump. Will have to pour some oil in it before heading home. Park it, drop it, and get off my ass-teroid and build at least 1 motor for the Dormy or for Plump. :?

You need to get off your ass-teroid and get it done. Camping season is near :D

SV2s Member #239
1963 Camper - Dormobile(Almost)
1957 Single Cab
1965 Apache Trailer - Silver Eagle

"Camping, cheaper than therapy" - Bill May

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:05 pm 
Sunshine

[quote="pyrOman"]
Made a huge mess all over the back of it as it dropped 3 quarts of oil in 20 miles! :shock:[quote]

You should call it the "Exon Valdez."
--Dan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:20 pm 
SV2s Forums Regular

pyrOman wrote:
Made a huge mess all over the back of it as it dropped 3 quarts of oil in 20 miles! :shock:

Guess we'll have to call you Captain Hazelwood from now on. :lol:

# 156
# 303

A witty saying proves nothing....... Voltaire.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:47 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

You are such a fungi :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next