www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:13 pm 
Sunshine

Is the six actually all the way down? Does the base meet the case or is the clamp twisted keeping it from going all the way down?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:46 pm 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
Is the six actually all the way down? Does the base meet the case or is the clamp twisted keeping it from going all the way down?

I had taken the clamp off the dizzy and put the clamp on the block and just put the nut and washer on but no where to be tight. I then put the dizzy in and made sure it was lined up correctly and then put all my weight on it. While I had all my weight I checked to make sure it was all the way in and it was. I then tightened everything up and she was running fine with no issues. Then about 15 min down the road (side roads of San Clemente), it popped up again. I did it again to get me going. Then in front of San Onofre, it did it again so I pulled the spring out.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:44 am 
Board Member

good job Will-yam!!

"Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
61 Rag Top
03 Passat
SV2s Member #231

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 am 
Board Member

So before we went back into time I said I had purchased this disk brake kit.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2186782

So last night I decided to bolt things up but not grease anything just to make sure things fit as they stated. So I got everything bolted up and fitted like it should be. I then put my 15" stock wheels on and found that they don't clear the calipers. I go back to the ad and it just states it will work with 14 and 15" wheels. Does not state aftermarket 15" wheels. So I put a couple of washers in between the brake and the wheel and see that it just needs a tiny bit of clearance. I emailed the seller and he said that because 64 and on, buses came with 14" wheels and not 15" wheels. All the people that have bought this kit are running 15" aftermarket wheels and not stock.

So now I either need to run a washer between the wheel and brake, or grind the caliper just a bit, or grind all 4 wheels just a bit to make this setup work.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:42 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

I just finished Jonathan’s disc brake job, same kit, on bus 14” rims. The fit is perfect! :cool:

Exactly what kind of rims are you using? Seems way too strange to have that issue! :-k

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:42 am 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
I just finished Jonathan’s disc brake job, same kit, on bus 14” rims. The fit is perfect! :cool:

Exactly what kind of rims are you using? Seems way too strange to have that issue! :-k

I am using stock 15" bus wheels. So the metal that is bent in for the slots to give the rim strength is what is hitting the caliper.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:16 am 
Board Member

OK, really weird that "stock" 14s fit well and "stock" 15s did not. 15s should have had more clearance than the 14s.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:33 am 
Sunshine

Most kits state for 14 OR 15 inch wheels, and some will not work with stock.
Didn't you get the CSP kit? Those are usually no hassle from everything I read, maybe they sent you the 14 inch kit??

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 pm 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
Most kits state for 14 OR 15 inch wheels, and some will not work with stock.
Didn't you get the CSP kit? Those are usually no hassle from everything I read, maybe they sent you the 14 inch kit??

He did not get the CSP kit.

SV2s Member #401

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:25 pm 
Board Member

No it is AC Industries. The reason why 15's don't work is because of the slots on the 15s are pushed down making the clearance less than 14s. It's all good. I will most likely take the grinder to the calipers but only after I make sure this kit is good to go.

I just have left to grease the bearings and install the master cylinder. Obviously bleed the brakes too.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:39 am 
Sunshine

der58SC wrote:
No it is AC Industries. The reason why 15's don't work is because of the slots on the 15s are pushed down making the clearance less than 14s. It's all good. I will most likely take the grinder to the calipers but only after I make sure this kit is good to go.

I just have left to grease the bearings and install the master cylinder. Obviously bleed the brakes too.

It's misleading on his part to say the same kit works for both.
Can't beat the price though!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:56 am 
Board Member

exactly why I bought this kit over the others. Price and it has everything I need to do the conversion. I had one hard line break because it was rusted to the rubber line so I need to replace that now.

Anyone know the type of hard line and length of the driver's side hard line?

SV2s #436

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150