www.sv2s.com

Strictly Vintage 2s
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: center pin replacement
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm 
Board Member

has anyone replaced the bushing and pin for the center pin? I know the one on the SO42 needs to be replaced. Just don't know how much of a job this is. I don't want to pull the beam

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:40 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

der58SC wrote:
has anyone replaced the bushing and pin for the center pin? I know the one on the SO42 needs to be replaced. Just don't know how much of a job this is. I don't want to pull the beam

Search around here someplace. Surely I posted some pix of it when we did the job on Craig form Smelay's the Hatch. :-k

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:53 am 
Sunshine

pyrOman wrote:
der58SC wrote:

Search around here someplace. Surely I posted some pix of it when we did the job on Craig form Smelay's the Hatch. :-k

I've no done it with the beam in. It's no fun. There is a good tutorial on the Samba by Hazetguy or is it Hazetman?
I rented the reamer I think from WW??

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:41 am 
Board Member

thanks guys. I am trying not to pull anyone off of the camper if I don't have to which is why I would prefer to keep the beam in the bus. If I have to pull it, I might as well swap it with the beam in the single cab.

SV2s #436

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Done in and out. Much easier with it on the bench. Way too much work to remove it if just to do that job though. :-s

Do get the proper reamer, it's a must! ;-)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:22 pm 
Board Member

the steering on the camper is super loose. I got under it and had one of my kids turn the steering wheel back and forth. I could see the center pin needs replacing, tie rods, and drag link. So with the flipped spindles I will be putting on, the tie rods are good to go. Just need the center pin and drag link so I guess I will be swapping the beam instead.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:02 am 
Board Member

Dan wrote:
I've no done it with the beam in. It's no fun. There is a good tutorial on the Samba by Hazetguy or is it Hazetman?
I rented the reamer I think from WW??

Here is that thread...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... center+pin

I am only reading up on this now since after driving the camper to Leo Carrillo and back, I really got tired of moving the damn steering wheel so much. I loved the drive but having to move the wheel so much to stay straight was annoying. Especially after driving the SC with a much tighter steering, I now want this.

So can someone tell me how long it takes if the beam was out of the bus? I still do not plan on removing the beam but want to know in general how long it takes. WW rents the reamer but does someone own it here?

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:19 am 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Do rent the reamer! It's a must have tool! You have to hammer out the old bushings but I have made a tool to "drive" the new ones in without having to hammer on them. Last time I did that was on Turbo's red bus and with the beam in place. :cool:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:26 am 
Board Member

I was going to rent the reamer if no one here had one. Maybe I could bring the camper down to you with a 12 pack of water ( Corona ) and we change it out?

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:36 pm 
Sunshine

I rented the reamer.
I did mine with the beam in place. There's no reason to go through all that work of pulling the beam unless you are rebuilding the whole thing.
It's not a fun job, but it is low tech.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:59 pm 
Board Member

thanks Dan. Maybe I will just get all the parts and run down to Ivan's for help. I wonder if I can get through his garage opening being so damn high. Yes I am still getting used to being high in the air.

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:35 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

der58SC wrote:
Maybe I could bring the camper down to you with a 12 pack of water ( Corona ) and we change it out?

If you’re going to pay with beer, that job is worth a couple of cases of CASH coffee stout . The brewery is right up your alley. :-P

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:27 pm 
Board Member

pyrOman wrote:
der58SC wrote:
Maybe I could bring the camper down to you with a 12 pack of water ( Corona ) and we change it out?

If you’re going to pay with beer, that job is worth a couple of cases of CASH coffee stout . The brewery is right up your alley. :-P

=D> :lol:

SV2s #436

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:10 am 
Sunshine

pyrOman wrote:
der58SC wrote:

Agreed. Corona payments these days will only get you an oil change.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:44 pm 
Pyromaniac, Certified!!!

Dan wrote:
Corona payments these days will only get you an oil change.

:shock:

Well, if you do it yourself! :badgrin: